Without a doubt, as a nation we are becoming more conscious of what we eat, with a focus on quality, organic produce. More and more people are setting up vegetable gardens in their backyards and we are huge advocates for this! Why buy what you can grow? The benefits are insurmountable. It's enjoyable for the whole family, it's healthy and you know exactly where your produce has come from.
We have had the pleasure of creating intimate dinners, through to large birthday celebrations with customised menus to suit, for the Sofield's at their holiday house in Gracetown WA with family and friends. Here they answer a few questions to express their experience of private dining with Chef de Home.
1. What made you consider using a Private Chef service?
We were looking for a private dinning experience where we could host friends at our beach house (without doing the dishes).
2. Had you used a Private Chef before using Chef de Home?
Yes. Over the years we have tried a few Private Chefs. However, by far the best all round experience has been with Chef de Home. We wont use anyone else.
3. How do you think it compares to going out for dinner?
Slightly more expensive than dining out. However, when you consider you are eating from your own customised menu and the quality of food. Plus intimate surroundings and privacy of your own home. It works out cheaper. We watched the sun set over Gracetown bay as Entree was being served on our main deck area. It was a bucket list moment.
4. What did your guests say about their experience?
Our guests were super excited and blown away with the whole gourmet style experience of a Chef cooking a custom meal in our home.
5. What was the highlight of your experience with Chef de Home?
There have been several highlights. But the two standouts were when Chef Francesca prepared a Main Fish meal made from Blue Bone Groper for our 28th wedding anniversary (8 per). It was an absolutely exceptional meal and reminded me of my late fathers favourite fish. He was a Professional Fisherman and only ate the best fish in the sea. The other was when Fish and Chips was served up at my 50th Birthday party (100 per). Only to discover the fish was Red Emperor.
6. If you could sum up your experience in one sentence, what would that be?
Chef de Home offer a "Unique, Intimate, Gourmet level experience". Just do it!
Once known as a luxury to the rich and famous, hiring a private chef is now more accessible and widely used throughout Australia, than ever before. Perth based, Chef de Home started in-home private chef experiences in 2012 and has since grown to house a team of Chefs through WA, and now providing services in Sydney and Melbourne.
Throughout Australia, people have a strong relationship with food and with new restaurants, bars and cafés, food blogs and exposure on television; they are more sophisticated and yet adventurous in their selection. Booking a Private Chef for a dinner party, engagement or celebration, offers something a little unexpected by guests and it’s exciting transforming your home into your own personal fine dining experience.
Chef and Owner, Ben Munro had travelled and tasted his way through Asia, the Middle East and Europe before returning to Perth, where he had the idea to showcase his experiences in people’s homes.
“When it comes to food, the one thing I am most passionate about is sharing it with people and what better way to experience this than by creating meals in people’s home,” Ben said.
The Chef de Home service allows people to experience fine dining without leaving the home, no need to worry about booking an Uber, booking a babysitter and paying excessive wine prices. The Chef and wait staff take care of everything from setting the table, all food is cooked on site and cooking/serving equipment provided. They even leave the kitchen cleaner than it was found!
Planning a function has never been simpler, with each Chef featuring their own custom seasonal menu that guests select from prior to the evening. When booking a Private Chef all that needs to be done is get ready and enjoy the company of your guests.
With Autumn fast approaching, let's make the most of the beautiful figs coming into season. Whether you like them fresh or cooked, on their own or accompanied with something delicious, we have sourced some gorgeous recipes to try.
SWEET & SALTY FIG TOAST
APPLE & FIG CUSTARD
YOGHURT WITH FRESH FIGS, HONEY & PINE NUTS
Smoked & BBQ Roasted Beef Rump with Yorkshire Pudding
Rump of beef x 1 kg
Rub for beef-
Coriander powder, salt, pepper, rosemary x 2 tbl spn of each
Sugar x 1 tsp
Olive oil x 1 tbl spn
140g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
Place oil into a muffin tray, about 1cm deep. Put in oven to get very hot at 180c
1. Cover beef with olive oil and then rub. Let marinate for as long as possible.
2. Light charcoal and let burn until red hot.
3. Then separate into two lines parallel to each other so beef can be cooked in between. Sprinkle a handful of wood chips over the coals and put lid on BBQ to catch smoke. After a couple of minutes, place beef directly over coals and put lid back on. Turn beef to sear all sides- about 2 min each side.
3. Now place beef in between the two rows of coals and put lid down. If you have a temp gauge on the BBQ it should read around 180c. Turn beef every couple of minutes, so it cooks evenly. Temp gauge may drop to 150c- this is ok.
4. After about 20-30min remove beef and rest for 5-10 min. If you have a temp probe, probe centre of beef - 55-58c will be medium rare, 60-65c medium.
5. While beef is resting, cook Yorkshire pudding.
6. Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix into a batter. You should have a muffin tray in the oven with hot oil at this point. Carefully remove tray from oven and pour Yorkshire batter in to fill 3/4 of muffin tray.
7. Cook until risen and golden brown- 5-10min depending on size of muffin tray.
8. Slice beef and place Yorkshire pudding on top, fill with gravy.